Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dr. King '63

Dr. King '63 14" x 17"           Graphite on Paper


I've been hesitant to draw Dr. King in the past. It is a tall task because I have never known Dr. King as a man but rather a symbolized historical figure. I was born nearly sixteen years after his assassination. His birthday became a Federal Holiday when I was only a year old. He has been honored with streets, highways, and bridges in every major city of this country. Stevie Wonder's 1980 birthday salute to him has been spinning on the turntable of my mind for as long as I can remember. I can go on. His well deserved symbolization has honored his name as much as it's served as a tall stone wall between those of us who missed his life and his true essence. In drawing his likeness I found myself reaching beyond King the iconic symbol to something more tangible. Did this portrait reach such a goal? I don't know. Perhaps not. But here is my first real attempt in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment